Website design for a SEO agency – Delante
In 2017, Delante was just beginning an adventure as a SEO agency. The company was thriving and gaining new customers. They came to us as they wanted to thoroughly rebuild the website so that it could match the level of the largest brands in the SEO industry. Moreover, they wanted to significantly increase website conversions.
Project results after two years (as of May 21, 2020)
The Delante website, based on the design we have prepared, was launched over 2 years ago, on February 22nd 2018. Since then Delante team has taken many actions affecting the number of visits to the site and the level of user satisfaction, which makes us very happy and congrats :). Such actions include wide content marketing, introduction of many well-thought-out changes such as knowledge base for content and successive social media and SEM activities.
Even though it was hard for us to draw numbers only from our work, as they are often connected with other activities, we measured the impact of the website redesign on the company’s development. We tried to include percentages of indicators, that is how many people out of 100 did some action or how long the time of a certain action was extended or shortened.
We’ve come to conclusions:
As a result, Delante can enjoy more customers and projects, and we can enjoy a job well done. 🙂
Team workshops based on priorities
We started work with a workshop in which each team member participated: UI&UX Designer, Frontend Developer, Product Owner, Copywriter and Facilitator of the meeting on our part. Moreover, we invited the company’s main president, head of sales department and head of SEO to this meeting. Each of them played a specific role and provided complete knowledge in their field.
Preparing the workshop we had strict goals.
- We wanted to know the business purpose of the new site.
- We wanted to gather the expectations of each stakeholder.
- The goal was also to analyze the current state and get to know the personas/users of the site.
To achieve the above objectives, we used a tool called Business Model Lean Canvas. It allowed us to meet key partners, the unique value and activities performed by the company, we learned about how to acquire customers and understood what the main costs are and what revenue streams are.
All these elements were extremely important because they influenced the further work process.
The impact of relationship selling on the appearance of a website
The client has gained contractors by actively participating in conferences and industry meetings. He made relationship selling very often. In such events, the potential contractor received a considerable number of business cards. We decided to put the picture of the contact person from Delante directly on this business card. People who received a card were more likely to remember who they were talking to at such events. Moreover, we used the same pictures as one of the first elements after opening the website.
During the workshops, we also looked at nearly 100 clients with whom the company works. After analyzing the data, we were able to determine a specific pattern of the recipient group. For each of them we have identified key decision factors when choosing an SEO agency.
The first persona was Bartek – the owner of an e-commerce store who wants to increase the visibility of his website. He is an analytical person, bases on data. He usually holds a high position in the company and has full independence. He prefers e-mail contact.
The other person was Magda working in a manufacturing company. She is looking for support for traditional sales of her products. She bases on relationships and acquaintances. Has a problem with names and association. She doesn’t remember what the people she spoke to look like. Prefers to talk on the phone.
When designing a website, the preferences of both groups had to be taken into account. A website should therefore contain as much data and reliable information as possible, but it must contain a personal thread.
Main and side goals of a website redesign
During the workshop, we also discussed all the goals that the home page should fulfill.
- inclination to contact.
- credibility of Delante’s professionalism with a potential client,
- authenticating Delante’s professionalism to a potential customer,
- presenting the Delante team to demonstrate competence,
- showing the way and culture of Delante’s work adapted to a specific client,
- creating the image of specialists and presenting comprehensive knowledge.
- maximum facilitation of the daily sales department in acquiring customers, including by showing what the process looks like, what are the next steps for the client,
- maximum facilitation of the daily work sales department in acquiring customers, among others by providing sample reports to the person entering the site,
- maximum facilitation of the daily work of the sales department in acquiring customers, among others by providing sample reports to the person entering the site,
- facilitating customer access to company data,
- contextual display of content depending on where the potential customer is on the website,
- ordering information architecture.
After collecting all the information about the project, we could easily move on to the next steps.
Research and analysis of alternative solutions for the SEO agency
In the second half of the week, we went on to analyze the collected materials and determined what we do not know yet.
We started by creating a canvas competition. This tool has allowed us to gather all the basic and important information about competition. We researched both Polish and foreign websites here.
We also searched the web and talked to people close to our personas (ideal clients) to better understand their needs.
We learned from the research stage that…
- People seeking SEO specialists in the so-called “long tail” (client specialization) had previously dealt with another SEO agency, so they expected very high transparency and clarity in reports, as well as daily activities.
- Customers were interested in the positioning process.
- Very often SEO was one of the services that they would gladly commission. The offer had to be presented in such a way that they could potentially benefit and be aware of other services.
- Many current customers got to know Delante through blog entries. In particular, the conversion on this page should be improved.
User acquisition analysis
Due to different personas and different preferences we have summarized the possible aspects of customer acquisition. This made it easier to place elements on the page at a later stage.
Sprint 2 – before Design
After substantive preparation for the topic, we were finally able to create mockups. Why mockups? It would seem that the structure of the site is not too complicated. However, there are several other factors that affect the need for sketches. The services are complex, and moreover, each of the major stakeholders had their assumptions when creating a new version of the website design and its goals that he wanted to achieve. So we used UXpin and within a week we prepared Information Architecture and Low-fi Mockups to quickly visualize content.
At the time of designing, we did hallway testing to make sure the structure of the site was correct. Testing consisted of showing views to people in the environment and checking how they understood the functionality. In this way, we immediately eliminated simple and stupid mistakes.
Moodboard of a website redesign
After the mockups, our project slowly went into the design phase. In order to avoid situations when our graphic vision is different from the one created by the owners, we have collected several graphic inspirations to discuss with stakeholders. By showing completed projects (not necessarily ours) you can effectively define what expectations the customer has regarding the website’s appearance.
Meeting with stakeholders
After completing the described views we met in the composition of the first workshop again. By visualizing the content, we were able to discuss individual elements again
During the meeting we discussed:
- recommendations from an SEO perspective,
- expansion of the career tab,
- prioritizing content for sales, including moving the sections with the process higher in views,
- team presentation on the website redesign,
- graphic direction of the project.
The meeting was effective because the client received information about the progress, and we quickly made the necessary arrangements and moved to the next step. Of course, during the meeting we received some suggestions for corrections, which we immediately introduced. In this way we received a complete view of the screens for the design phase.
Sprint 3 and 4: Website Design
Designing the final appearance of the site is something that the customer usually expects to get together from the first day of cooperation. As you probably noticed, this is a stage that takes place only after two weeks of work in the project. Why didn’t we start this stage right away in the first place?
First of all, starting the task only now, we have clearly defined all views. Everyone in the team knows what to expect from the website, and the number of changes at this time is marginal – all corrections have already been made. Moreover, we already know in which graphic direction to go.
It should be noted here that the logo was provided by the customer. In the recommendations from another graphic designer, we received a set of colors that we should use. The problem was, however, that these colors were prepared for printing, and these differ significantly from the set of colors available on the screens of electronic devices. We decided to introduce a small color improvement for the needs of the web.
At the beginning, of course, we started with “decorating” the home page. After designing this view, we again met with the owners for a few minutes update. We made the appropriate corrections and closed the so-called styleguide – the general style in which the website has been created.
When we approved the general style, we switched to the design of subsequent subpages. Finally, we created views for mobile devices. In the second week of work, the programmer started working on the website equally with us. We consulted on an ongoing basis how individual elements behave. During our work, we also selected animations on the site – how the individual elements should behave.
Hourly billing – Copywriting
In the last stage, during programming work, it also turned out that the client also needs texts for his new website design. This stage could not be closed in a short one-week period due to the limited availability of the board and specialized knowledge, which required the presence of an SEO specialist. We have proposed here hourly billing and, if possible, processing of individual subpages.
As a result, we’ve created text for each subpage and section, excluding the blog. Shortly afterwards the website saw the light of day at https://delante.pl.
At first glance, the website could’ve been created much faster and cheaper, on the ready WordPress template, as was in the previous version of the page. Why is it worth investing in a slightly more complicated process of creating a website?
Here are the main reasons of Delante:
- The client got traction. His main goal was to scale and systematize activities. To understand the processes prevailing in the company has facilitated everyday work.
- The client specializes in a specific field (e-commerce and Long-tail SEO), and creating a personalized website has allowed to highlight what makes him stand out from the competition.
- The company “has been losing” potential customers on the site through ill-considered architecture. In the new version, we support conversion at every possible point of contact.
- One of Delante’s main priorities was to show the brand as a professional company. We obtained this through an individual website in our own style.
How do we know that we have done our job well? First of all, the client himself has reported a significant increase in each of the areas we have defined. The client himself has given us appropriate recommendations:
We rate the website very well. The website achieved its goal of presenting us as a modern company and increased the conversion to sales inquiries (it was strongly missing). Cooperation with you was efficient and we felt that you understand us and push the topic forward. We recommend you to our friends.
Tools used in the project
- Business Model Canvas
- User Journey Map
- Competitors Canvas
Case study isn't enough?
Would you like to learn about the whole process and how we could carry it out in your organization?